We desperately needed some storage space in our living room, so we went for another IKEA modification. We bought this untreated hardwood TARVA drawer chest and HEDRA knobs for this project.
I stained it with Minwax WoodFinish in the shade Special Walnut. Remember to wipe off any excess stain with a clean cloth before you let it dry.
After letting it dry for a day I would have treated it with wax, but I was still not quite done...
After attaching the knobs it still needed something, so I made stencils with the names of different areas in San Francisco. You can make your own custom stencils too:
* Print out the text/pattern/figure you want in the size you want
(make your text light gray, so you won't waste as much ink as with black)
*Put clear cover (adhesive plastic film) over your stencil pattern
Note: You don't necessarily need to use the plastic clear cover on there, but I want to keep my stencils "sterdier" in case I need them again. In this case, friends of ours wanted to have a drawer chest stenciled like this so I was glad I had them ready!
*Carve out the letters/pattern etc carefully (I used a precision cutter and had a cutting board under)
* Place the paper where you want your stencil to be, and secure it with some tape
* Dab paint on carefully with a sponge/sponge brush, not too much paint at once since it may leak under the stencil
* Immediately remove the stencil paper when you're satisfied with how the paint looks (I used a few different looks, a couple with really good coverage, other with less, and one where I dabbed outside of my stencil paper)
(If you want you can carve the clear cover directly (while the protective film is still attached), and then attach it directly onto the surface you want to stencil)
* After stenciling was dry, I treated the whole thing with Minwax Paste Finishing Wax
Metal bowls from IKEA,
B&W bowl is by Marimekko (a wedding gift from a friend),
fun bottle from some "Missisippi Mud" Husband drank.
Update: Realized I need to stain the supporting piece at the back as well!
E-mail me or comment, if you want me to send you the word document with the stencils I used :)